‘Kashmir Gaye or Shikara pe na baithe to Khaak Kashmir Gaye’
Dal Lake in Srinagar is famous for more than one reason. Shikara ride is one of them. Houseboat stay is another reason while beautiful view of water field is the third one. Here are some of the important things you shouldn’t forget-
– If you are going in off season, chances are high that you strike a good deal with the rowers. (I paid just Rs 350 for a three-hour ride in the month of Feb)
– If you are visiting Kashmir between March to June, you need to pay little extra. It can vary anything between Rs 850-1,000, depending upon your negotiation skills.
– There are many still photographers who can offer you dresses as well. Bargain with them and you are expected to amazing deal, anything below Rs 500 is fantastic.
– If you are on shopping spree, Dal Lake has very famous Meena Bazaar, where you will find government funded emporiums and handicraft shops. There are few floating shops from where you can buy some accessories. But please do bargain, they quote high prices.
– Do not get out of your cab just in front of the Dal Lake. (Rowers say that even these tourist guides and cab drivers takes commission from their earnings. Hence get down little before the destination and take a walk to Dal Lake)
– You can even enjoy Kaaba while enjoying Shikara Ride. There is a Maggie point floating on Dal Lake where you can enjoy the hot and spicy version of this 2-minute snack.
– Shikara rides are available only till sunset. Hence, plan accordingly so that you can cover the entire Dal Lake tour before the sun touches the horizon.
This post is just about Shikara. Subsequent posts will follow more information about Dal Lake!